Forests for the Future
Established in 1989, Vernon Seed Orchard Company (VSOC) is a joint venture company with West Fraser Mills Ltd, Canadian Forest Products Ltd. and Lakeland Mills Ltd. VSOC is a conifer seed production facility that has been dedicated to producing the highest quality seed for use in the reforestation of British Columbia’s interior crown forests for over 30 years.
The Vernon Seed Orchard Company (VSOC) recognizes and respects the cultural and social significance of the land, water and forests to Indigenous peoples. We share a common interest in ensuring that the forests we rely upon continue to provide for cultural, environmental and economic needs of the future generations.
VSOC operations are located within the northern part of the unceded Okanagan First Nation Territory, as well as on the unceded traditional territories of the Lhtako Dene Nation, Nazko First Nation, Lhook’uz Dene Nation , and ?Esdilagh First Nation.
We are grateful for their generation stewardship of these lands.
Producing superior seed for tomorrow’s forests
“A” class seed has greater pest tolerance, genetic diversity and a higher volume gain.
Climate-Based Seed Transfer
Using seed genetically adapted to the environment in which it will grow
Providing seed for the Interior of British Columbia
Join the VSOC team as one of our seasonal employees
The Vernon Seed Orchard Company is committed to providing high quality seed for reforestation in British Columbia, in a manner that ensures a safe and healthy workplace for our employees and minimizes our potential impact on the environment.
Vernon Seed Orchard is committed to minimizing the environmental impact of our business on the landscape by integrating environmental considerations into all current and future activities.
We operate in compliance with all relevant federal, provincial and municipal environmental legislation and we strive to use pollution prevention and environmental best practices in all we do.
How do we employ the best environmental practices?
- Promoting efficient use of materials and resources throughout our operation, including effluent water, chemical control sprays, electricity and city water.
- Integrating environmental impact considerations into all decision making and activities.
- Encourage beneficial insect biodiversity.
- Developing an Integrated Pest Management Plan, using observation and economic thresholds in decision-making to reduce the frequency of pest control.
- Actively participate in research to find alternative control options to reduce or eliminate the use of toxic chemicals applied in the orchard.
- Promoting wildlife populations by providing raptor perches, participating in the Mountain Bluebird Nest Box program and keeping coyote habitats undisturbed.
- Training, educating and informing our employees about environmental issues that may affect their work and encourage employee involvement in environmental action.
Our Joint Venture Companies
Vernon Seed Orchard Company (VSOC) is a joint venture company with West Fraser Mills Ltd., Canadian Forest Products Limited and Winton Global Lumber Limited.